Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Zero Respect for the Mormon Church

  It's been a minute, actually years, since I have felt the need to to post. I've moved on, healed for the most part, and rarely think about church. But this weekend I received an email from the "Mormon Church" letting me know that my personal info may have been comprised by a hacker. We verified that the email was legit and that many other ex-Mormons who have had their names removed also received the same email. In the past members have asked, "Why can't you just leave the church alone?" I ask the same thing, "Why can't the church leave me alone?"

Why? Why do they even have my information in their system. I, along with Joseph and our kids had our records removed years ago. We have zero intention of ever returning. Our kids have actually thanked us for getting them out young and for allowing them to think for themselves. Why can't the "Mormon Church" respect that and delete us from their system and shred any all documents that have our information. (Disclaimer: I get that they aren't required to do so by US law)

The email mentioned that they "immediately" reported this incident to Law Enforcement. Interesting, considering the clergy in the church aren't encouraged to report various forms of abuse to Law Enforcement. Our daughter is currently writing a paper in her English 2010 class about clergy penitent privilege and it took a lot of digging for her to get scholarly info on the subject, so I do know that the "Mormon Church" is capable of hiding information and deleting information.

If the church wants my respect then they need to respect me and my choice to leave. Until then, I will continue to have zero respect for the "Mormon Church". It took some time, but thankfully we have been able to reach mutual respect with our immediate families and some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment